Sunday, January 27, 2013

Manna Story @ Plaza Singapura

So the korean wave had obviously invaded our shores and there are now TONS of Korean food all around Singapore! That's the best part about the Korean wave honestly. The whole influx of Korean music can be really irritating sometimes, unless they're songs from Big Bang.

I remembered a year back, I was getting a gift for my cousin for her birthday. Secondary school kids are HUGE on this Hallyu idol thing so I thought I would get her something from her favourite boyband at Comics Connection.

IT WAS THE MOST PAINFUL birthday gift experience of my life. Those bloody secondary school kids were just squeezing and shoving their way around me while cooing non stop. And some of them even gave me the "what the hell is an old woman like you doing here" look. THANKS KIDS. KIDS WILL ALWAYS BE KIDS thank god I'm past that stupid age.

So back to food, (which will always be non judgmental) one of my favourite food when I was in Korea is definitely Dakgalbi. It is generally made by stir-frying marinated diced chicken in a gochujang (chili pepper paste) based sauce, and sliced cabbage, sweet potato, scallions, onions and tteok (rice cake) together on a hot plate. [courtesy of Wikipedia]

20121224-200951-DSC_0066
This, my friends, is Dakgalbi

I'm introducing this wonderful creation to you guys now so you'll stop missing out on TRULY korean food. And you can find this in Manna Story @ Plaza Singapura. I'm not sure if any other places has this, but I can tell you that the one here in Manna Story is REALLY good. At least comparable to the authentic ones in Korea. 

20121224-201050-DSC_0072

And I HIGHLY recommend you to add a portion of ramen. The one here comes with only glass noodles. The ramen they use, I suspect, are the real Korean ones. Springy to the core. 

It is supposedly a popular dish for university students who are on a low budget, as dakgalbi is relatively cheap and served in abundance. This I can attest to, as ph & I only had to pay less than 15,000 Won for a portion for 2. That's roughly SGD17. 

However, it's pretty expensive here in Singapore. Like all things Korean, the price will probably be 2.5times. I had to pay about $15 PER PERSON for dakgalbi. Which means $30 for 2 persons. Mad, but it tastes so good.
20121224-201002-DSC_0068

I've actually had dakgalbi in Manna Story about 3 times already. Each time, I had TONS of people asking me or the waiters what I'm having. Apparently this dish isn't that well-known among Singaporeans. I don't blame them because I wouldn't have known anything beyond bulgogi and bimbimbap if my Korean friends hadn't introduced all sorts of food to me. 

20121224-201807-DSC_0079
Steam Egg
It's $5 and a waste of money. Don't bother, unless you really have nowhere else to spend your money. In that case, I'll happily help you spend that $5. Or, I can steam eggs for you and you can pay me that $5 instead. 

Manna Story (Plaza Singapura)
68 Orchard Road
#B2-22 Plaza Singapura
Tel: 62381245

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...